Wednesday

Sorry, I Don't Care What You "Like".

For that matter, I am not sure I really care what my family "likes" on their social page. Actually, I don't think most have a page. Maybe they have found something more useful to do with their time. I guess I am just happy knowing they like something. Don't get me wrong, I am all for constructive networking that may lead to something productive, but the only thing that seems to come out of social sites is that you start to not like people you used to know or "like". You start to find out how big of an idiot some people really are. It's a very similar situation to the pack or click mentality you recall from high school. Have you seen what some of the Mr. and Mrs. Populars have been up to lately? I rest my case.

The whole premise behind social site "likes" is to make advertising money. Advertising is an honest capitalist endeavor that I'm glad to support, but c'mon, "likes". They have determined that the holy grail of advertising euphoria is to tap into what friends of friends like. I surely cannot be alone in not giving a rat's behind what others claim to "like". To me, "likes" have just gotten to the point of silliness. I'll assure you this too. I am not going to step into your pile of "likes" to see what's happening. If I do stumble across them, I am not going to say, hey, you "like" that so I guess I'm going to "like" that too. Hey, we're a lot alike. Ain't happening.

For advertisers pushing their pages in order to get some "likes", are you serious? Do you really think anyone would want to stop in to learn all about Windex or Tide? I think advertisers have way over estimated the value of "likes", but then again, I am sure they have been bombarded by ad agencies telling them they must invest in "likes" or suffer a case of the "hates". Actually, I think I would find more value in "hates" than "likes". Hey, where's those twins that can't be happy with their $48 million FB settlement. Maybe HateBook.com is available. Anyway, call me radical, but don't you think it may be more worthwhile for a company to tell us something more about their product or service instead of promoting some other company's website? Don't come to our site, go somewhere else. Sure, that will bring in the orders.

Okay, here is what really bothers me about "likes". Most people think they are making a statement by saying they "like" something. They think, whether subconsciously or not, that they are showing people something, or they are being heard or making a statement. Sometimes they think they are being funny or cute. Ya, ha ha. They think they are stating an opinion, the easy way. They think they are defining themselves to others. They think they are getting noticed. "Likes" are really about trying to get attention. It's not much different than the mentality behind tattoos or piercings. Here's the thing. Can't you just learn to be confident and comfortable in your own skin and mind without having to resort to external forms of stimulation? Trying to mask the underlying problem with things like "likes" won't solve the real problem? How about this concept? Genuinely accept yourself for who you are, warts and all.

No comments: