Tuesday

How to Resign with Class

Resigning from a job is not easy, especially when you have worked in a position for several years, and have been part of a team. I am convinced that there are many people who would not leave a company, or look for a new job, because of the immense fear of having to tell people they are leaving.  Before submitting a resignation, you must be committed to leaving. Do not submit your resignation in hopes of receiving a counteroffer. This approach will usually backfire.

Keep it short, simple, and positive:Make sure you leave your employer on a positive note. When you resign, keep your conversations simple and concise. Avoid lengthy discussions about your new opportunity with your old employer. Do not justify your personal goals or your decision to leave. If you feel you may be faced with a hostile environment, resign at the end of the day.

Verbal resignation: Resigning orally may place you in the compromising position of having to explain your decision on the spot. Words are powerful, so choose your words carefully. Your boss may want to probe for what that led to your decision. You may be asked what the reason for your leaving is or you may be asked to offer suggestions to help make the organization more effective. Remember, this is still your boss, so be candid. Offer praise for the company and those with whom you worked. Prepare yourself beforehand by focusing on several positive aspects of your workplace and mention them when the opportunity arises.

Example: "I need to discuss something with you if you have a moment. I have been made an exceptional offer by another firm and I have decided to accept it. My wife and I have given this opportunity a lot of thought. As much as I would like to advance with this company, we feel the new opportunity is in our best long-term interest. We deeply appreciate all that you and the firm have done for us here. I do not think I would have been presented with this exceptional opportunity if not for your support and leadership. I want to thank you. I hope I can leave with your good wishes. You have been a friend as well as a boss." If probed for more information, you may want to claim that there is nothing else to say right now.

Written resignation: A written resignation gives you the time to prepare what you wish to communicate and gives you greater control over your delivery. A written resignation also reinforces the fact that you are leaving the company and are not simply threatening.

Example: "I want to thank you for all that you have done for me here. It has been a pleasure working with you. I have accepted an offer with another company and have decided to tender my resignation as of today. This decision has nothing to do with the exceptional opportunity you have provided for me here. I wish this company continued success and I want to thank you for allowing me to be a part of your team. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance in helping with a smooth transition."

Leave on the right note: Before leaving the firm, take time to speak with peers, executives , and others with whom you have worked. Be sensitive to others’ reactions and keep your conversations positive and constructive.

No comments: