Sunday

Candidate: You Can't Handle the Truth

Hiring Manager: You want answers?

Job Seeker: I think I'm entitled to them.

Hiring Manager: You want answers?

Job Seeker: I want the truth!

Hiring Manager: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has employers. And those employers have to be guarded by hiring managers who have the final say. Who's gonna do it? You, Mr. job seeker? They have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the unemployed. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that while tragic, hiring managers save companies. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, provides a livelihood... You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at social sites, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like skills, experience, education...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent bettering companies. You use 'em as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very jobs I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a resume and get a job. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Job Seeker: Did you pick another candidate?

Hiring Manager: I did the job I am paid for.

Job Seeker: Did you pick another candidate?

Hiring Manager: You're goddamn right I did!!

I never get tired of that movie. Having interviewed in-person an endless number of job seekers, I am sure I could write a 50 page blog on the topic, but of all of the things that ultimately blow it for job seekers, it's the interview. The reason you did not get chosen is not because the company wasn't serious about hiring, the hiring manager was a jerk, there were better qualified candidates, or any of other rationalizations people come up with. The bottom line is that you did not do a good interview. You did not connect with the hiring manager. You did not make a friend. You did not sell your features and benefits. You may think you did, kind of like you think the resume you slapped together is good, but you didn't.

Ultimately, all of that effort that was required to get an interview was lost because you weren't really prepared, and that's too bad. You didn't blow it with your answer to "why should I hire you?", but the other more personal things. Candidates do all kinds of things to sabotage interviews. They don't speak. They don't shut up. They don't answer the question that was asked. They don't listen. They look unprofessional and unmotivated. They leave mediocre resumes. They behave too casually. The list goes on.

Keep in mind that most people that have gotten to a hiring manager position are probably fairly sharp and relatively normal people. They are looking for and assessing things that you haven't even thought of and all of it is under your control. Do yourself a huge favor and read up on interviewing. Sorry to say, but most people are horrible interviewees and that is what ultimately blows it. If nothing else, just don't be weird. There are a lot of socially odd people out there and it shines through in an interview setting. Change your present level of awareness in that department, study up, and get yourself hired.

No comments: